My Letterman Top 5 Performances

Since David Letterman announced his retirement, I started going back through music performances on the show and came up with my Top 5. There are lots more, but these 5 are the ones I've watched more than once and I feel like the all the bands were really giving their all in these whether it was to make a solid first impression on late night television or to show why they love what they do. 

#5 'Kiss This Thing Goodbye"/Del Amitri
An early performance from Del Amitri from their first album. A perkier version of this band before they settled into what I call their "disillusionment" with the music business probably pushing them to be something they weren't interested in being. Still a super catchy song and interesting to see them this young. 

#4 "Whole Lotta Love"/Patty Smyth
It's not often you see any vocalist sing this and nail it and Patty Smyth does. She has such a great rock voice and was put in an adult contemporary/radio-ready box. Maybe it was the direction of music at the time, but this seems like her authentic self. I feel like Letterman just liked to bring her on and let her go. Loved it!

#3 "I'm Not Okay"/My Chemical Romance
Another instance of the beginnings of a band and these guys were so green, authentic and raw in this performance - so much energy and I loved it all. Wonder what Letterman thought of this one?

#2 "All My Life"/Foo Fighters
This entire concert performance was spot-on perfect. The Foos are well into their prime here and clearly still loving what they are doing. How can you not love the Beatles nod in the Ed Sullivan Theater? I mean, come on. This band makes me love music all over again, every time I listen. 

#1 "Come On Get Higher"/Matt Nathanson
One of my fave live performances ever. Matt Nathanson was working this song on as many shows as he could and this performance near the beginning of the run is the best. The bridge vocal is so good. I've listened to this hundreds of times (no joke!) and it never disappoints. I had to give it my #1. 


What are your Top 5 Letterman performances?

Comments